State Policy and Legislation
The Teaching Fellows legislation would provide college scholarships to academically talented students who commit to teach in high-need public schools for 4 years after graduation. Modeled after the North Carolina and South Carolina Teaching Fellows programs, the legislation would also require participating institutions of higher education to provide development, community engagement, and leadership opportunities to Fellows to support their growth as education leaders and their commitment to remain in the teaching field.
This bill is rooted in AACTE's state policy priorities and the recommendations from "Excellent Teachers for Each and Every Child: A Guide for State Policy" released by AACTE, AFT, NEA, CTQ, OTL, and SCOPE in December 2013.
American Federation of Teachers
American Council on Rural Special Education
Center for Popular Democracy
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
National Education Association
Opportunity to Learn Campaign
Public Advocacy for Kids
San Francisco Teacher Residency
AACTE members and state chapters are encouraged to adapt this legislation to their state contexts and work with state policy makers to enact it. Learn more about this innovative model legislation:
Support this legislation
State Policy & Legislation Resources
- State Policymakers Contact Lists | 30 July, 2018
- ACSR State Policy Resources | 25 July, 2016
- State Policy Tracker | 31 October, 2016
- State Policy Statements to Enhance Educator Preparation | 22 July, 2016
- State Policy Principles for Strengthening the Educator Pipeline | 17 June, 2013
- 2016 ACSR State Policy Statements – Customizable Template | 2 August, 2016
- 2016 Op-Ed Prompts | 2 August, 2016 view 1 more...
- Webinar - State Policy Tracker Demonstration | 18 April, 2016
- Teaching Fellows Program Act | 30 January, 2014