Selection Criteria for Student Participants
Participating institutions select individual AACTE Holmes Program participants who meet the following criteria:
- Are bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral students pursuing careers in the education field, or high school students interested in education as a future career.
- Are members of groups historically underrepresented in the education professoriate, in the PK-12 teaching workforce, or in leadership positions in the education and education research fields (especially racial, linguistic, and ethnic minorities and people with exceptionalities).
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and diversity.
Expectations for Student Participants
Students selected as Holmes Program participants agree to the following expectations:
- Commit to a 3-year term.
- Continue to participate in school-university-community collaborative partnership arrangements for research, service, or advocacy activities.
- Attend the AACTE Annual Meeting (including the Holmes Program preconference sessions as well as the full AACTE Annual Meeting).
- Participate at least once in the AACTE Holmes Scholars Summer Policy Institute and AACTE Day on the Hill.
- Propose and implement a project that relates to or forwards the goals of AACTE and authentically engages the program in advocacy, policy, service, or research work.
- Participate in activities and meetings sponsored by the National Association of Holmes Scholars Alumni during the final year in the Holmes Program (some of these activities take place during the AACTE Annual Meeting).
- Participate in at least one other education conference or field trip.
- Uphold program requirements in high regard.
Expectations for Sponsoring Institutions
Participating institutions agree to meet the following requirements:
- Sign a commitment form to be officially added to the AACTE Holmes Program.
- Commit to an initial 3-year term of participation.
- Designate and support Holmes Program participants, in accordance with the program criteria (which includes supporting students' participation in the AACTE Annual Meeting and Holmes Scholars Summer Policy Institute).
- Designate a faculty/staff person as the Holmes Program coordinator.
- Regularly inform AACTE of any new participants selected and/or any participants completing programs, graduating, or otherwise leaving the program.
- Maintain active membership with AACTE (for postsecondary institutions).
- Uphold the mission and values of the AACTE Holmes Program.
- Send a representative to the Holmes Program coordinator and dean sessions at the AACTE Annual Meeting.
- Promote the value of the AACTE Holmes Program and the National Association of Holmes Scholars Alumni network among program participants and during related events and programming.
- Include reference to AACTE and the AACTE Holmes Program in any promotional materials (print or electronic) related to the program.