AACTE is committed to meeting members' needs and serving as a national voice and resource on behalf of the educator preparation profession. At the request of our members, we have compiled a set of resources on the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ) Teacher Prep Review. These resources serve to bring more transparency to the full story behind the review process, institutions' history with NCTQ, and the collective concerns of the AACTE membership.
NCTQ released its latest Review in December 2016. Instead of providing an overall review of all teacher preparation programs (as done in previous iterations of the Review), NCTQ plans to release the Review in five stages over the next two years:
- December 2016 – Undergraduate Elementary
- Spring 2017 – Undergraduate Secondary
- Fall 2017 – Graduate and Nontraditional Elementary
- Spring 2018 – Graduate and Nontraditional Secondary
- Later in 2018 – Traditional Elementary and Secondary Special Education
In previous surveys of AACTE member institutions, nearly 90% said that NCTQ did not serve as an appropriate and objective arbiter for such a wide-scale review of educator preparation program quality. Based on AACTE's interactions with NCTQ at the national level and our members' repeated experiences with the group over the years, we believe it is our responsibility to inform the public about the facts, experiences, and perspectives of our membership. To that end, the resources posted below chronicle member responses, media coverage, and research about the NCTQ reports. We’ve also prepared a response kit for AACTE members with exclusive tools, research links, and strategies to respond to local media inquiries and related needs.
Stay tuned to this web page and AACTE’s blog for the latest information about NCTQ.
AACTE Press Statements
- November 2014 | Latest NCTQ Report Blames Vague Assignments for "Easy A's" in Ed Schools
- June 2014 | Statement on NCTQ Teacher Prep Review from Sharon P. Robinson, Ed.D., AACTE President and CEO
- July 2013 | Setting the Record Straight: AACTE’s Engagement on the National Council on Teacher Quality Teacher Prep Review
- June 2013 | NCTQ Review of Nation’s Education Schools Deceives, Misinforms Public
- January 2013 | Experts Cite Lack of Research, Dismiss Credibility of State Policy Report on Teacher Preparation
- May 2012 | Latest NCTQ Report Validates Concerns over Group's Flawed Research and Bias
- March 2012 | AACTE Statement on Teacher Preparation and K-12 Assessment Report
- July 2011 | NCTQ Student Teaching Report Misses the Mark
- NCTQ “Teacher Prep Review” – Institutional Response Kit | 27 October, 2016
This kit is designed to help member institutions develop a response to the NCTQ “Teacher Prep Review” by equipping them with tools and strategies for responding in a way their respective institution deems most appropriate....
- NCTQ Teacher Prep Review: 2014-2016 | 20 August, 2014
NCTQ Webinar - August 18, 2014...
- Responses to the 2014 NCTQ/U.S. News & World Report Review | 18 June, 2014
Below are responses from national and state organizations, deans, professors, and students to 2014 NCTQ-U.S. News & World Report Review....
- Responses to 2013 NCTQ-U.S. News & World Report Review | 24 June, 2013
Below are responses from national and state organizations, deans, professors, and students to 2013 NCTQ-U.S. News & World Report Review....
- AACTE Members' Key Points on 2013 NCTQ Review | 20 June, 2013
Most educator preparation programs embrace accountability through a number of efforts (e.g., national accreditation, state program approval, regional accreditation, federal Title II reporting, performance-based exit measures such as edTPA, Teacher Work Sample, and other measures). However, their con...